- 11.00 Sir Edmund Tylney/The Duke’s Head, High Street
- 12.00 Swan Centre, Main Square
- 1.00 The Penny Black, North Street
- 2.30 Outside Leatherhead Theatre, Church Street
It might only be the first day of December but the festive season is kicking off in Ewell. ESMMM add a touch of madness to Ewell Yule. Luckily the Police Cadets didn’t seem to mind being drawn into a dance – or getting their hats swapped for ‘toppers’.
• Friday 1 December – Ewell Yule – dancing in the street at the Ewell Traders Christmas Bash – 5pm. • Tuesday 5 December – Ashtead Christmas Festival – High Street, Leg O’ Mutton & Cauliflower, The Brewery (where no doubt there will be festive song to follow the dancing) – 5pm ’til late.
• Saturday 9 December – Leatherhead Christmas Festival, meeting at the ‘Spoons before dancing throughout the town (with a call in at The Running Horse, no doubt) – 12 noon until about 4pm.
• Thursday 14 December – The Running Horse Wassail, Leatherhead – festive song and what can loosely be described as Christmas music – 8:30pm.
• Monday 18 December – we are guests of Kingston Morris at their Wassail at The Spring Grove – 8pm.
• Thursday 21 December – The Wheatsheaf Wassail at the friendliest little pub in Ewell Village – 8:30pm. Come early if you want a seat.
• Boxing Day – the famous Boxing Day Tour of Ewell Village, starting at The Famous Green Man at 12 noon and ending with the Mummers Play in the yard of the Upper Mill at 2pm-ish. It’s our 35th Boxing Day tour.
• Thursday 4 January – Twelfth-ish Night – fun and morris mayhem at The Willoughby Arms, Kingston – dance, games, music, singing. 8pm.
Well, the ESMMM AGM has come and gone – and we are all still speaking to each other. The Club’s officers are unchanged – that is Ray Watson (Squire) Alan Greenwood (Treasurer) and Alan Mead (Bagman). Ted Smith(Foreman) also continues. We have some bright ideas for 2018 including a walking tour of Ewell for our Day of Dance on 14 July. But for the moment we are concentrating on the run up to and just beyond Christmas – details on our Facebook page shortly. ESMMM on Facebook